Monday, October 4, 2010

Just chillin'

Since I last posted the main thing that's happened medically is the ultrasound of my left shoulder and upper arm areas. It was pretty cool actually. The monitor showed what looked like a moonscape at times and I could see strands of glands and sheets of tissue and muscle and whatnot. Maybe I'll be able to get copies of those images and show you what I mean.

But yes, that has been the extent of progress to this point. Coming up tomorrow is the next bit of fun, the MRI. This'll be a first for me and as the comedian Stephen Wright has said, "I'm gonna have an MRI to find out whether or not I have claustrophobia." Well that and whether or not there's any sign of cancer in the more important parts of me. :)

While trying to find out anything more about the timeline of things post-MRI, I sent in an email to the docs and got the folllowing reply:

I spoke with Kristi, Dr. Lewis' PA and we are not going to schedule you for a follow up appointment at this time. They want to get all the testing done, get the reports in, review your case and set up a treatment plan. I believe that Dr. Lewis instructed you to call several days after the MRI is complete. Since your MRI is scheduled for next Tuesday, you could call for results on Thursday. Not sure they will have answers on that day, but you could get your call in and they will call you back when a plan has been formulated.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for your patience,

We're thinking that means next Wednesday is the soonest we'd probably be able to go back in for a face-to-face meeting with the doctor and probably the first we'll get a fully definitive diagnosis, letting us get the ball rolling on treatment.

In all honesty my main concerns have been how all this is going to fit in with things that were planned months ago that are now fast approaching. I'm supposed to be shooting a wedding on the 23rd and we were going to make a trip to California to pay respects to my Mom's mom as well, tickets were purchased already and everything. I certainly don't want to stress out a bride or be a distraction on her big day and I've already missed the actual funeral for my grandmother(s) so it would be ideal to push any treatment out until the last week of the month if possible.

Anyhow, what will be will be. This whole situation reminds me of a passage in James that feels especially applicable:
Jam 4:13Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money." 14Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15Instead, you ought to say, "If it is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that."

So I'm keeping on my toes. :)

Brea pretty much mentioned all the other stuff that's been happening around the medical hoopla so I'll just mention my own gratitude for all the family that has been showing such great hospitality in letting us stay at their homes and beating me to the punch at paying for meals and all that good stuff. Thank you!

There is one other thing actually. We wound up watching "The Social Network" and I can't stop kicking myself for not snapping a screenshot and posting it on Facebook during the movie... It's for the best I'm sure... :D

1 comment:

  1. Eric and Brea...praying for you and God's provision who can do immeasurably more than we can imagine. You are great friends.

    Matt and Rachael
    P.S. Let us know if we can help you out with anything.